Thursday, June 9, 2011

"Poland" by James A. Michener

While I was reading this book, things that I did that I remember are:
- Ray and I visited my mother in her new apt, where Henry and Cocia Marylka also came
- Had a really nice visit from Morgan and Lucas, and the highlight, believe it or not, was our visit to IKEA.
- Morgan had a miscarriage. Baby stopped growing at 7 1/2 weeks
- Started my new volunteer job, sorting books at the Tallwood facility. Tiring and a bit boring, but also interesting. It's a long bus ride, and I read on the bus.

The book is interesting, but Michener tends to go into too much detail, and has a rather straightforward writing style. There were occurrences of male chauvinism and I didn't always know if that was a reflection on the author or the period he was writing about. A large part of Poland's history is kind of embarrassing, and the magnates in particular were rather disgusting in their self interest. Now that I know that I have an Austrian ancestor, the Austrian bits were of more interest to me than the first time I read this book.  I didn't remember a thing from my 1st reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment