Thursday, March 23, 2017

"Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen

I enjoyed reading this book, though in parts the writing was so abstract that I didn't quite understand the point. Also, the parts that waxed euphoric over musicians and music were lost on me, because I'm so unmusical. I particularly liked the way Springsteen dealt with feelings. You can tell he's been going to a therapist for decades because he has such a good understanding of his motivations. His personal revelations make him very human. I also admired that Bruce said so much, and yet so discretely, that he simultaneously preserved privacy and was bravely honest. And lastly, I have more in common with him than I expected. His father was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, so, like me, he has experience living with mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment