Sunday, June 7, 2015

"Sanctuary" by William Faulkner

I disliked this book so much that I ended up skimming it. The subject matter was very ugly, and the writing difficult to follow. This was due to the use of dialect, and the lack of clarity sometimes as to who was speaking. Faulkner was also subtle in describing the crimes, apparently due to censors, so it was difficult to follow in that respect as well. If I hadn't read a summary of the story, I wouldn't have known what was going on. And there was an even better summary at the back of the book, that I wish I had read as well, to give me more understanding of what I was reading. Apparently this book is not representative of William Faulkner's writing, but I doubt that I'll give him another try. I came across this book because it somehow ended up as a freebie on my ebook reader. Good riddance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment