Monday, January 12, 2015

"Nikolski" by Nicolas Dickner translated by Lazer Lederhendler

I picked this book up because the title was Slavic and because the book takes place mostly in Montreal. It was written by a French Canadian.

It was a nice light and intelligent read, having to do with three loosely connected narrators, and including a Nikolski compass, Nikolski being the name of a remote northern community on the west coast. There was nothing Slavic about the book, but I did enjoy the references to Montreal. My heart will always be there, I think, no matter how long I live in Ottawa.

The book highlighted for me the numerous options there are for living a life, which can include travelling the roads in a trailer, or enjoying life rather than working away at degrees and professional advancement. Life is an adventure to be explored, and society a sea to travel through.

No comments:

Post a Comment