Sunday, May 1, 2011

"The Mayor of Casterbridge" by Thomas Hardy

I decided to finally read this book (which I bought ages ago) after watching the Michael Winterbottom movie 'The Claim', which is loosely based on it. I found the movie very slow, but it had beautiful scenery and the plot was somewhat intriguing. I hate having a book lie around for decades without being read, so I used the movie as the incentive I needed. There is even, believe it or not, a Simon Baker connection, because I know Michael Winterbottom from the movie 'The Killer Inside Me' where Simon Baker starred.

To my surprise, because I think of Thomas Hardy as being gloomy, I actually enjoyed the book. I liked the fact that even though much misery befell Hanchard, it was mostly of his own doing, He was not an innocent victim. It's almost ironically funny.  Hanchard (Job?) was presented with one trial after another, and he always seemed to make the wrong choice. He seemed unable to have a trusting relationship with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment