Tuesday, July 9, 2024

“The Girl Who Drank the Moon” by Kelly Barnhill

 I did not overly enjoy this Newberry Award winning book. Usually I like Young Adult novels, but I think the premise for this one was a bit too ephemeral, and the character development a bit too thin, to grab my attention. It also felt quite derivative and long. 

The basic summary is that a region called The Protectorate was very sad because every year they gave up a baby to whom they thought was an evil witch in the forest, not knowing that the truly evil, sorrow eating witch, lived in a tower in town, She trained girls to be warriors and was the source of the sorrowful lies. Luna, the heroine, was a sacrificial baby. She was saved by the forest witch, who accidentally enmagicked her with moonlight, and there was a creature who lived in the bog who was some sort of Creator, as in God, and there was a cute little dragon who thought he was big. I’m sure if I bothered analyzing the book, it has a number of beautiful themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment